Work Permits

Re-entry Permits

As per the basic rule of permanent residency, travel for over 6 months may break the continuous residence requirement and a green card holder may lose their status. If a permanent resident plans to remain outside of the U.S. for more than 6 months, s/he must acquire a Re-entry permit, Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, complete with supporting documentation, photos, and applicable fees. Such a permit is valid for two years from the date of issuance.

In order to apply, an individual must be in the U.S. and have his/her biometrics done at their local USCIS service center.

Advanced Parole

Advance Parole allows for the following: 1) It enables an alien to come back to the U.S. after traveling abroad without having to obtain a visa to enter the U.S., 2) It preserves a pending application for protected status that the alien has filed. Aliens in the United States may apply for Advance Parole if they have:

  • An application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) pending;
  • Been admitted as a refugee or have been granted asylum;
  • Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program;
  • Been granted Temporary Protected Status;
  • An asylum application pending; or
  • An emergent personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad.

Employment Authorization Documents (EAD)

Anyone who is not a US citizen or permanent resident may need to apply for a work permit before they can start working in the United States including the following individuals:

  • Beneficiary of a pending I-485 Adjustment of Status;
  • F-1 student seeking optional practical training;
  • F-1 student seeking off-campus employment due to severe economic hardship;
  • M-1 student seeking practical training after completing studies;
  • Spouse or minor child of a J-1 exchange visitor;
  • Spouse (not child) of an L-1 transferee;
  • Fiance(e) of American citizens;
  • V2 or V3 visa holders;
  • Refugees, asylees and asylum seekers;
  • Person under Temporary Protected Status (TPS);
  • Dependent of foreign government officials;

For more information about these services, please schedule a consultation at 978-905-9992.

*Translation Services Available
**Proudly serving the LGBT community