Certain nonimmigrant visas allow Fiancés of U.S. citizens and Spouses (and children of spouses) of U.S. Citizens to enter the United States to complete the immigration process.
K1 – Fiances of U.S. Citizens
Through the K-1 visa, the United States allows foreign nationals, potential spouses of United States Citizens to enter the United States for the sole purpose of marriage.
To qualify for a K-1 visa, a person must:
- Have personally met his or her U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within the past two years;
- Have a good faith intention to marry the U.S. citizen who sponsored the K-1 visa;
- Be legally able and willing to marry upon arrival in the United States; and
- Meet all of the other requirements to be admitted as an immigrant to the United States.
- The marriage between the foreign national and United States citizen must take place within ninety (90) days of entry into the United States.
The K-1 visa also makes provision for the U.S. Citizen to have his/her fiancé’s child(ren) enter as a non-immigrant.
K3 – Spouses of U.S. Citizens
The K-3 visa allows the foreign-born spouse of a United States citizen who has a Form I-130, Petition for Alien, filed on his or her behalf to travel to the United States prior to approval of the Form I-130.
To qualify for a K-3 visa, a person must:
- Have a valid marriage to a United States citizen;
- Have a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative filed on his or her behalf; and
- Meet the other requirements to be admitted as an immigrant to the United States.
V – Family Members
The V-1/V-2 visas allow spouses of lawful permanent residents to enter, and live in, the United States while they are waiting for their immigrant visas to be processed when the following requirements have been met:
- LPR spouse or parent filed a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you on or before December 21, 2000;
- Priority date is at least three years old and not current;
- There has been no immigrant visa interview;
- The petition is not already with the U.S. embassy or consulate; and
- Other requirements to be admitted to the U.S. are met.
For more information about these services, please schedule a consultation at 978-905-9992.
*Translation Services Available
**Proudly serving the LGBT community